The True Power of Community
The True Power of Community is surrounding yourself with like minded people. Community is under utilized but can change your life. So let’s talk Community…
For some reason, a lot of people just love the idea of being “self-made.” We love getting swept up in the romance of being the kind of people who pull themselves up by their bootstraps and hustle their way to the top, with no help from anyone else. It’s an appealing idea, but it’s a myth and completely false.
When you take a look back at history, you’ll find that the most influential people in the world never got there alone. Instead they were part of a community of friends, peers, and mentors who helped push them to become the people they were destined to be.
As anyone should, you need to come to terms with the fact that we all need support, and surround yourself with a community of others with similar likes. No matter how talented you may be, you’re not going to get very far without the power of community.
Here are 4 different ways you can start utilizing the power of community.
1. It Takes a Village
- You can truly go at it alone…But it will be a steep hill. Having the right people in your life that have the same thought process and goals will only be of extreme benefit.
- Take a step back and think about your goals this upcoming week, month, year. Is there someone in your life today who can help guide you? Is there someone who you need in your life to help you get to where you want to go? Go find them or start asking them about helping you on your path.
2. Borrowed Motivation
- It may sound weird but it is true. You can somehow grab motivation by pulling it from those who are around you. In my case I find it hard sometimes staying on track or staying motivated in my goals. It is super easy to procrastinate and just say, well I’ll do that tomorrow. But once you have that village of people in your life, you can count on them to pick you up when you are down.
- My main motivation comes from my Wife, my Friends, even my Clients…I also have a group of Entrepreneurs I look up to and keep an eye on. They tend to talk a lot about motivation and tend to keep my that way when I’m down. Check out Gary Vaynerchuk, Grant Cardone and Tim Ferriss…These are good guys to start with on your path of motivation.
3. New Thoughts and Ideas
- What I mean by this is exactly how it sounds. You won’t believe how many times I hear stories of other people’s experiences. These give me so many new ideas and thoughts to apply to my business. How to add a service that doesn’t exist yet or how not to do things in my business. This is free advice and lessons that I’ve learned first hand by some other person faults.
- I truly believe that when you are surrounded by like-minded people who the wisdom of the collective is considerably greater than any one person working alone. You won’t believe how awesome it is when bouncing ideas off of others truly turns an idea into a gem. They think different of you and attack a problem in a different way. One that may be better than the way you thought.
4. Your Friendly Neighbour
- I’ve written about it before, but I feel it to be true. You can’t pick your neighbour but you can pick your neighbourhood. So if you find yourself lucky to have a great neighbour. This is a hidden gem of luck. One that will payoff in your life should you choose it. What I mean is that, you will start talking to them and good things will happen.
- I have neighbours that I run into on a daily business, ones that keep an eye on my place. Some are my clients even and some have resources that I need from time to time.
- Your neighbour will be at that shopping centre or brewery. Buy them a beer even and they may introduce you to that next business client in your life. It’s true that referrals are the best clients in life. They already have a sense of trust in you.
There truly are so many other benefits to the Power of Community. Let’s start here with these, maybe I’ll have a part 2 to this should the response be what I hope.